Hey there friends,
As I’ve mentioned before I’m currently working on a master’s degree at the Ohio State University and it turns out that school is time-consuming! I want to make a commitment to a once month blog post if possible, because there are still plenty of things to share about being in Ohio (such as the up coming Pawpaw Fest! Whaaaaaat??!?).
This post, however, is to announce a small yet important decision around my soon arriving 28th birthday. I’ve decided to shave my head and now let me explain just a few of the reasons why, moving from simple to complicated.
- I want to know what it feels like.
- I’ve been thinking about it for a year.
- To use less soap.
- It’s a pretty good moment in my professional and personal life to experiment in this way. e.g. I have time to grow out my hair before I face the unfortunate reality of being judged by my appearance during potential job search processes.
- Subversive feminist and feminine presentation. I am not my hair. My value is not in my hair. I like my hair. It’s beautiful. But I am not my hair. I want people to see that. I also want to incite reaction.
- I’m in a very new phase of life and feel like I want to make a move to symbolize that feeling on the outside of my body.
- To challenge my perceptions of my own worth and beauty.
- To stand in solidarity with so so so many groups of people.
- To change the perceptions of a shaved head from one of tragedy and negativity to change/rebirth/opening. (This is in myself and in others)
- To dismantle white supremacy in this small, small way by subverting European beauty standards.
- The Equinox.
12. TO RAISE SOME MONEY FOR AN ORGANIZATION THAT IS PLANTING TREES IN HOPES THAT MAYBE THE CARBON SEQUESTRATION THEY ACHIEVE WILL SAVE THE NEXT COUPLE OF GENERATIONS SO THEY CAN KEEP BUILDING THE MORE BEAUTIFUL WORLD OUR HEARTS KNOW IS POSSIBLE AND ARGUING ABOUT POLITICS AND PHILOSOPHY AND EATING FOOD AND GIVING HUGS AND DANCING AND LYING IN THE GRASS AND STUFF. (Charles Eisenstein- although the food and stuff is me). #climatechange
If you would like to contribute to this fundraiser, please CLICK HERE to reach the fundraiser page. The organization is One Tree Planted based in Vermont and they have a number of global tree planting programs.
I’ll probably be shaving off something like 16 inches of hair, so if you want to have some fun with it, you can donate something like 5 cents to a dollar for every inch I shave off my head. You have until the Equinox! (Which is September 23rd this year for all of you who aren’t astrology witch nerds like me.) If you are not in a position to donate, you can also attend tree planting days which are being hosted by One Tree Planted all over the place in late September. Check out the schedule HERE!
I’m very afraid to shave my head, by the way. It’s a very intimidating prospect but one I feel I can be brave about. It’s a choice after all, which is my privilege. If you’ve read this far, thank you very much. My launch into year 29 begins on September 20th. I’ll be in Columbus, OH. I’ll probably shave my head in a parking lot sometime around 5:30 pm. Maybe I’ll have a someone take a video.
Look forward to it. And thank you, in advance to anyone who is able and willing to contribute to the fundraiser or go plant a tree!
P.S. Here are some pics of me with hair and a booby shirt in my new home.