This week I offer a simple post. It’s a list and some pictures and I hope you enjoy.
- They have a winter and it’s actually kind of chilly.
- There are flying cockroaches.
- It is extremely rainy.
- There is a serious history of gang violence, murder, and drug addiction.
- Anyone older than you is called “auntie” or “uncle”.
- There is an equal amount of English and Hawaiian signage on the roads.
- Legit guard dogs on chains in yards.
- There are conifers on Hawaii. Cook Island Pines
- You can get a genuine Douglas Fir as a traditional Christmas tree and many people do. Santa Clause and everything sitting next to a little Dole Pineapple. The juxtaposition was jarring.
- Mauna Kea, the tallest mountain in Hawaii (because the islands are basically a bunch of mountains with the most insanely diverse microclimates I’ve ever seen) gets snow on top. I repeat, it snows in Hawaii.
I’m off to New Zealand to have my mind further blown by the Southern Hemisphere!